LxScreenshot and LxFind: A review

Posted: Monday, May 28, 2012 | Posted by Unknown | Labels: ,
These little guys are getting a bit more stable. And it's nice to see some Lubuntu specific development occurring. So, here's what we've got:

LxFind is an app to locate files and documents on your hard drive.
It's a good start. I love how fast it is. And it locates my documents as advertised. However, I was disappointed. This app was billed as "simple" and "efficient", but I have to disagree. Most of the time I search for files, I look in one specific directory. It's called Documents.

The default directory for LxFind is set to the Desktop. Who searches the Desktop? And why can't LxFind save a default location? Not very "efficient" in my opinion.

Also, for such a simple app, why is there so much clutter on the window? There should be one text input box; the rest should be hidden in a drop-down options button.

Finally, it's not quite stable. When using it, openbox crashed on me.
LxScreenshot is also off to a nice start.
Like LxFind, it's not much to look at, but it gets the job done. However, I kept asking myself why it was important. In Lubuntu, the PrtScr button works well for entire desktop shots. My only need for a program like LxScreenshot is to capture active windows. Yet, the active window shots don't include the title bar (see below). This is a deal-breaker for me.
For now, I think I'll stick with my home-grown screenshot app.

So, all-in-all, a good start. But far from perfect.
Did you find this post helpful? Subscribe to our RSS feed and stay connected with Lubuntu Tips!

0 comments:

Post a Comment